Mikko Hirvonen (FIN) and Michel Périn (FRA) keep on working their way up in the overall standings. In stage four, taking the field to Tupiza, Bolivia, the MINI John Cooper Works Rally pairing came second behind Peugeot’s Cyril Despres.
“We had a really great day,” beamed Hirvonen. “The early sections featured really big dunes at an altitude of 4000 metres. They were higher than the ones in Abu Dhabi. There even were moments when we thought that we wouldn’t be able to cross a dune. But we always found – often at the last moment – a way to do it. This was the section were we succeeded in passing Carlos and Stéphane. In addition, Michel navigated us in great style. Later, the terrain changed and we once again could go faster. But there, the buggy unfortunately could pass us again. Nonetheless, we completed the special stage without encountering any problems, such as a puncture.” The Finn now holds third position in the overall standings.
Tomorrow, on the way to Oruro, the competitors will have to cover a special-stage distance of 447 kilometres plus a liaison-section distance of 245 kilometres. The stage features the most different terrains, inter alia another to dune sections.
Dakar 2017 Result SS4:
1. C. Depres (FRA) / D. Castera (FRA) – Peugeot – 4h 22m 55s
2. M. Hirvonen (FIN) / M. Périn (FRA) – MINI John Cooper Works Rally – 4h 33m 46s
3. N. Roma (ESP) / A. Haro (ESP) – Toyota – 4h 35m 46s
4. S. Peterhansel (FRA) / J.-P. Cottret (FRA) – Peugeot – 4h 38m 10s
5. S. Loeb (FRA) / D. Elena (MCO) – Peugeot – 4h 45m 08s
Dakar 2017 Overall standing after SS4:
1. C. Depres (FRA) / D. Castera (FRA) – Peugeot – 11h 33m 16s
2. S. Peterhansel (FRA) / J.-P. Cottret (FRA) – Peugeot – 11h 37m 24s
3. M. Hirvonen (FIN) / M. Périn (FRA) – MINI John Cooper Works Rally – 11h 38m 20s
4. S. Loeb (FRA) / D. Elena (MCO) – Peugeot – 11h 40m 04s
5. N. Roma (ESP) / A. Haro (ESP) – Toyota – 11h 43m 46s
6. J. Przygonski (POL) / T. Colsoul (BEL) – MINI ALL4 Racing – 12h 09m 51s