The seventh stage of the 2017 Dakar Rally, taking the field from La Paz, yesterday’s venue of the rest day, to Uyuni, represented the first part of the marathon stage. Tonight, the pairings have to work on their cars without the support of their teams and mechanics to prepare them for tomorrow’s stage to Salta, Argentina. Mikko Hirvonen (FIN) and Michel Périn (FRA) took their MINI John Cooper Works Rally to fourth place in today’s special stage.
Following the torrential rain that fell on the previous days, the stage from La Paz to Uyuni was shortened. Instead of the scheduled 322 kilometres, the competitors had to cover just 161 kilometres in today’s special stage.
Tomorrow, the Dakar will return to Argentina. In Salta, at the end of the marathon stage, the pairings and the service crews will be reunited. But to begin with, the competitors will have to cover another 892 kilometres. At first, they drive to CP 1 and from there a liaison section takes them to kilometre 246. From there, the racing will be continued as scheduled. The reason for the changes is a river that overflowed its banks.
Dakar 2017 Result SS7:
1. S. Peterhansel (FRA) / J.-P. Cottret Peugeot – 1h 54m 08s
2. S. Loeb (FRA) / D. Elena (MNC) Peugeot – 1h 54m 56s
3. De Villiers (RSA) / D. Von Zitzewitz (GER) Toyota – 1h 57m 41s
4. M. Hirvonen (FIN) / M. Périn (FRA) MINI John Cooper Works Rally – 1h 59m 11s
5. N. Roma (ESP) / A. Haro (ESP) Toyota – 1h 59m 40s
Dakar 2017 Overall standing after SS7:
1. S. Peterhansel (FRA) / J.-P. Cottret Peugeot – 15h 57m 06s
2. S. Loeb (FRA) / D. Elena (MNC) Peugeot – 15h 59m 03s
3. N. Roma (ESP) / A. Haro (ESP) Toyota – 16h 08m 13s
4. C. Despres (FRA) / D. Castera (FRA) Peugeot – 16h 11m 07s
5. M. Hirvonen (FIN) / M. Périn (FRA) MINI John Cooper Works Rally – 16h 44m 30s