Total kilometers : 444 km
Timed sector : 330 km
In the fourth stage, around the Peruvian city of Juan de Marcona, Mikko Hirvonen (FIN) and Andreas Schulz (GER) compensated for the bad luck they had to cope with yesterday by securing fourth place with their MINI John Cooper Works Buggy.
The day was started with a special starting procedure at the beach not far from San Juan de Marcona: four cars at a time started side by side into the special stage, with the groups starting in 10-minute intervals. After 16 kilometres along the Pacific, the competitors turned to the heartland for the other 310 kilometres.
“I’m really delighted,” Hirvonen beamed in the X-raid service park. “Finally we were able to demonstrate the true potential of the buggy. Although we had to look for a waypoint two times and once we had to stop to reduce the tyre pressure.” With his great result the Finn worked his way up to 12th position overall.
Tomorrow’s stage will take the field to Arequipa, the final stop in Peru. It will be a long day for the drivers: the distance to be covered amounts to 934 kilometres, 268 of them against the clock. Motorbikes / quads on the one side and cars / trucks on the other will contest the stage on different routes. And it goes without saying that the competitors once again will have to cope with dunes.
Dakar 2018 – SS4
1. S. Loeb (FRA) / D. Elena (MCO) Peugeot – 3h 57m 53s
2. C. Sainz (ESP) / L. Cruz (ESP) Peugeot – 3h 59m 28s
3. S. Peterhansel (FRA) / J.-P. Cottret (FRA) Peugeot – 4h 01m 09s
4. M. Hirvonen (FIN) / A. Schulz (GER) MINI JCW Buggy – 4h 32m 29s
5. A. Eugenio (ITA) / S. Delaunay (FRA) SMG – 4h 33m 39s
9. Y. Al-Rajhi (KSA) / T. Gottschalk (GER) ) MINI JCW Buggy – 4h 40m 23s
12. J. Przygonski (POL) / T. Colsoul (BEL) MINI JCW Rally – 4h 52m 26s
14. B. Garafulic (CHI) / F. Palmeiro (POR) MINI JCW Rally – 5h 06m 15s
31. O. Terranova (ARG) / R. Graue (ARG) MINI JCW Rally – 7h 04m 53s
Dakar 2018 After SS4
1. S. Peterhansel (FRA) / J.-P. Cottret (FRA) Peugeot – 10h 36m 07s
2. S. Loeb (FRA) / D. Elena (MCO) Peugeot – 10h 43m 02s
3. C. Sainz (ESP) / L. Cruz (ESP) Peugeot – 10h 49m 13s
4. N. Al-Attiyah (QAT) / M. Baumel (FRA) Toyota – 11h 34m 55s
5. B. Ten Brinke (NDL) / M. Périn (FRA) Toyota – 11h 46m 31s
10. J. Przygonski (POL) / T. Colsoul (BEL) MINI JCW Rally – 12h 11m 37s
12. M. Hirvonen (FIN) / A. Schulz (GER) MINI JCW Buggy – 13h 15m 49s
16. O. Terranova (ARG) / R. Graue (ARG) MINI JCW Rally – 14h 15m 10s
28. Y. Al-Rajhi (KSA) / T. Gottschalk (GER) MINI JCW Buggy – 19h 45m 06s
29. B. Garafulic (CHI) / F. Palmeiro (POR) MINI JCW Rally – 23h 48m 10s